Welcome to Episode 3 of the Movement Logic podcast! In this episode, Laurel and Sarah discuss massage and self-massage, common (accurate or otherwise) claims about their benefits, and what the research has to say (it’s not what you might think).
- What is massage, and how is it different than manual therapy in PT?
- Can massage increase proprioception?
- Does everyone benefit from massage, or do some people not need it?
- If there really is a problem with our fascia, is massage the answer?
- What therapeutic benefits does massage have?
- What role does massage play in helping trauma-affected populations?
Research Article: Affective Massage Therapy
Research Article: The effectiveness of massage therapy intervention on reducing anxiety in the work place.
Research Article: Massage therapy as a workplace intervention for reduction of stress.
Research Article: Failure of manual massage to alter limb blood flow: measures by Doppler ultrasound
Research Article: Evidence of the physiotherapeutic interventions used currently after exercise-induced muscle damage: systematic review and meta-analysis
Research Article: Adverse events and manual therapy: a systematic review
Sign up here for the Movement Logic Newsletter for course discounts and sales – our popular Foot & Ankle Tutorial is on sale soon!