Welcome to Episode 5 of the Movement Logic podcast! In this solo episode, Laurel addresses the question of whether or not yoga asana builds bone density, where the belief or claim that it does might have come from, and then concrete, evidenced-based ways to improve bone density, as well as how yoga asana fits into these efforts. Here are specific points discussed:
- Where did the idea that yoga builds bone density come from?
- Why is bone density important and why should we want to build it?
- How do you find out if you have osteoporosis or osteopeonia?
- Who is most at risk of developing osteoporosis?
- How does osteoporosis happen?
- How do bones remodel and become denser, stronger, or more resilient?
- What activities build bone?
- When is the best time to work on building bone?
- What are the obstacles to building bone?
- Shoulder older adults lift heavy weights?
- The LIFTMOR study
- What role does yoga play in the conversation around bone density?
Sign up here for the Movement Logic Newsletter for course discounts and sales and receive a free mini Pelvic Floor course!